Thursday 25 March 2010

The 17 Week Challenge Diary

Week 1 - Workout A2
Second session completed (kind of!). It was a very late workout - having been working from 11 - 10 it was one of those workouts you just don't want to do! - but I know I have to do it and so at 10.30pm I made my way to the gym. After a 5 minute warm up I encountered my first problem - I couldn't get an olympic barbell for the sumo deadlifts! :( Not a problem though - because as the exercises are all done as supersets you can swap the order around aslong as you keep them in their original pairs. So I started with the step ups (I did cross over step-ups) supersetted with the dumbell presses. Another piece of advice - if you start off with a weight that you can do 15 of in the first set but only a few on the second or third set, simply drop the weight down. You will still be overloading the musle sufficiently for adaptations to occur.

Onto the sumo deadlifts and pull-ups combination...oh dear! I said in the first workout post not to go too hard at the start...unfortunately I didn't listen to my own advice! My first set seemed ok, until I checked my form in the mirror and noticed my back was going out of neutral spine (I was losing the curve in my lower back and letting it round - which places pressure on the vertebral discs - NOT GOOD!!). My reaction - lower the weights for the next set. The form was better but there was still some rounding of the back. So my next solution was to raise the bar a little higher so I didn't have to bend down as far. This stopped the back rounding and allowed me to lift with good form. Having done a little research on deadlift lifting technique I came across this site - http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-form which explains it all in greater detail. I highly reccommend you all read it as deadlifting is one of the best exercises you can do in the gym!

The final issue I had with this workout was the my grip! My hands cramped up by the 3rd set of exercises leaving me with problems holding the bars. I also had blistered from where the bars were rubbing against the skin. So I would say to invest in a pair of weightlifting gloves to stop the friction rubs.

A real hard workout but again - I feel it was worth it. It's a learning curve this - and I'm still learning. Im feeling good, strong and looking forward to workout A3! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to the exciting new Beta Fitness Blog page. Here you will find articles, advice, the latest news and events, AND discounts to services on offer. So make sure you bookmark this page and keep checking back for the latest from Beta Fitness!