Tuesday 12 February 2013

Confessions of the trainer: Low carbohydrate diets: Part 1

So it's been established that I have to get tighter control of my diabetes. The importance of what goes into my body has never been greater, but how am I going to get the best bang for my buck?

If I were to follow the advice of Diabetes UK, I should be following the FSA's eatwell plate, which suggests that my carbohydrate intake should be around 50-60% of total consumption. Protein intake is around 15% and fat is kept 'low'. The eatwell plate has been around for a while and is apparently the healthy 'balanced' diet we should all be following.

Here's the thing though - theres alot of research that is showing the eatwell plate to be quite outdated, and actually talks of it having a negative effect on health. I'll end this post with a link to a study:


The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of advice to increase carbohydrate intake to 50% of energy intake as part of advice to follow current dietary guidelines.

Twelve healthy post-menopausal women with an average age of 56 years (+/- 6.5 years) were advised to increse their carbohydrate intake to comply with the recommendations. Subjects were told to follow this diet for 4 weeks in a free-living situation. Fasting blood samples were obtained at baseline and after 1 and 4 weeks.

The results showed:

- a significant decrease in body mass index after 4 weeks (good)

- there was a significant increase in blood triglyceride concentrations after 1 week (bad)

- high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol concentration was significantly decreased after 1 and 4 weeks (bad)

This all points to the conclusion that in post-menopausal women, following the UK dietary guidelines resulted in changes to their blood lipid profiles that favoured an increased risk of coronary heart disease!

Now I wouldn't consider myself a post-menopausal woman, but the implications of this study are very interesting. In the following posts over the coming weeks, as I explain my ways of keeping tight glucose controls, I will provide more research backing up my methods. Just consider these results though - especially if you are in the subject population...

Until the next update...Paul x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to the exciting new Beta Fitness Blog page. Here you will find articles, advice, the latest news and events, AND discounts to services on offer. So make sure you bookmark this page and keep checking back for the latest from Beta Fitness!