Friday 22 February 2013

Confessions of the trainer: Low carbohydrate diets: Part 2

In the first part of this series I discussed how following the recommended dietary requirements to ensure tighter control of my glucose levels could possibly have a negative effect on my overall health. Over the last month I have shown my readers research which has indicated that increasing carbohydrate intake to the required 50% has been shown to increase blood lipid profiles thus increasing CHD risk. Additionally, I have shown research which has indicated that low carbohydrate dieting can illicit positive effects on both weight loss and improved blood profiles.

I can openly admit that I am probably biased towards lower carbohydrate intake over high carbohydrate and low fat diets as my condition is dictated by carbohydrate's effects on my body. Essentially I cannot metabolise the carbs I consume as my body's immune system destroyed the cells in my pancreas that produce insulin. Insulin is essentially a 'key' that unlocks the muscle cell's door to allow amino acids and glucose in. Without insulin the body cannot use carbs for energy. Therefore I must inject insulin whenever I consume more than 10g of carbs as well as twice - in the morning and evening. 

Through trial and error carb consumption and insulin dosage can usually be matched reasonably well with controlled blood sugar levels. Generally speaking I would say that the more carbs consumed the more erratic the control becomes - and this is certainly the case with my own experience. We do know however, that glucose and carbs are the body's preferred energy source, and that it is near to impossible to restrict carbs extensively for a prolonged period of time without side effects such as low energy, mood swings and cravings. Further research has also shown that whilst lower carb diets showed greater weight loss and blood profiles at 3 and 6 months, at 12 months positive effects were similar from low carbs and high carb diets. Additionally there is also research to suggest that the higher carb diets are easier to stick to with similar weight loss results. What is my personal opinion? - 1) we are consuming too much carbs in our diet, 2) of our carb intake we are consuming too many processed carbs (white flour, white rice, desserts, pastry etc.), 3) diabetics would illicit tighter blood sugar levels with lower carbohydrate diets.

Finally, I want to set out my goals for my eating plan:

- to tighten up my blood sugar levels reducing variances as much as possible
- to keep exercising at high intensity to gain the metabolic benefits associated with high intensity training
- to maintain mental focus and energy levels to allow me to keep on top of my job
- to reduce my body fat level and reveal my abs

In the next part of this series I will reveal the plan I have already started and the associated benefits behind it as well as my progress throughout the weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to the exciting new Beta Fitness Blog page. Here you will find articles, advice, the latest news and events, AND discounts to services on offer. So make sure you bookmark this page and keep checking back for the latest from Beta Fitness!